Pages

2.01.2010

Why are the weekends so short?

It's Monday already, and I find myself wondering - just where did the weekend go? Well let's see....Saturday I came into work for 5 hours (that'll blow a weekend real quick!). While at work, it started to snow. Since they were only calling for a "dusting" I didn't rush outta here. Well, the dusting turned into 5-6inches. What takes me normally 30mins to get to my parents from work took me an hour. Got there, got the kids packed in the car, and headed home. What takes me normally 15-20mins to get home from my parents took me 1 1/2 hours to get home!!!! WOAH!!!! That'll blow a weekend, too :( It took an hour just to get from my exit off 95 to my front door (that normally takes 2-5mins). Sigh. Everyone was getting stuck on a hill, and it was literally a parking lot!!!!! See pic below. Luckily, Princess napped the whole time and Buddy wasn't too antsy. He kept getting worried that we'd get stuck, too, and was soooooo excited when we didnt :) When we got home though I literally did nothing else. I felt like cooking some cookies, but we didn't have any. So i made some banana bread. That was pretty good. Buddy was bummed b/c his buddy Max couldn't make it over - the roads were just too bad. So that playdate will be rescheduled for a future date!!!!! I worried about Babe at work all night...he made it home safely :) AND....Princess slept from 8pm - 7am!!!!!! Straight through! I was so happy :)



Sunday we didn't do a lot. We had to go buy a new router b/c I can't live without internet at home. Then my sister came over. We went to get my mom a new phone, and came back with a new phone for Babe in the process ;) LOL!!!!!

The challenge for day #3 was to make your husband his favorite dinner or dessert (Lesson #3 - Tonight make his favorite meal or dessert. (Or both!) Proverbs 31:15 says, "She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls".
You are making deposits into your marriage. During this two week period be prepared for your husband to do something unloving. You have greeted him, hugged him, & made his favorite meal, but later he yells at you for moving his keys. Ignore it. Don't throw your hands up saying, "Respecting you doesn't work. You are as unloving as ever." You are fasting from complaining for two weeks. Lower your expectations. You can't expect him to change in every area of his life because you did three nice things. Do this for God & not for your husband. God commands you to do this.

I invite you to take this one step further. As I sit here & type this I realize that I am guilty of something that I could do a little better. I am sitting in sweatpants, a tee shirt, no makeup, & messy hair. We would never have been seen this when we were dating. Thank God our husbands still think that we are beautiful when we are a mess. However, from time to time we should put a little extra effort into looking our best for him. I am going to be doing this challenge & all of the others along with you because I need to work on my marriage at the same time. I need to continue to strive to be the very best wife that I can be. I invite you to not only make his favorite meal or dessert but to also take a shower, put on a little makeup, set the table nice, & show him that you have gone out of your way to make him feel special.
)

While I didn't go one step further (sorry, i just wasnt feeling all pretty and stuff this weekend), and while I didn't actually MAKE him dinner...we did GO OUT to dinner to one of his favorite restaurants ;) And the whole buying him a new phone thing...i think i went above and beyond on this challenge, don't you!? LOL!!!


Here is todays challenge:
Lesson #4 - When your husband is around, say something honorable about him in front of your children or his peers. Perhaps say, "When it comes to math, few are as smart as your dad. Why don't you ask him to help you with that question." Or, "Your dad works every day so that we can live in this home. He is a very hard worker." Or, "Do you know what I admired about your dad when we first met? It was....."


This kind of thing is not hard for us women. We are only talking about a few sentences. God has gifted us to communicate. If you are thinking that you can't do this, you are lying to yourself. The truth is that you don't WANT to say something honorable to a man that you don't feel is as nice as he should be to you. You are locked into the idea that he must earn your respect. I know that you might be upset with him & that he should also be honoring you. Remember, the most mature one moves first. The more respect you give, the more opportnity he has to (in return) show love. A mature wife looks beyond her husband & speaks these words because the Lord wants us to.
1 Peter 3:9 says, "not returning.....insult for insult, but give a blessing instead."
You can give a verbal blessing. No sweat!

1 comment:

sharongilo said...

I think you would like my recently released little book, "A Short Guide to a Happy Marriage" (Boston Globe #1 pick) - it's inspirational in keeping one's marriage at the top of all priorities (and with children, making one's marriage a great relationship is one of the most important gifts you can give them) -- find at borders, amazon, etc. -- come by and visit @ www.ashortguidetoahappymarriage.com